Sunday, February 9, 2014

Playing with color

I rarely knit with more than one color. It's a lot of work and I didn't have the technique worked out because I never really tried. But as one of my New Years resolutions I was going to give intarsia a shot. Only took until Feb. 8 to try it out. And it's a lot easier than I thought. It's still more time consuming than plain knitting but opens up a new world. I went with a simple heart swatch of 20 stitches. 
Well, since that was easier than expected and crossed off the list, I had to add to my list. So I figured I'd give fair isle a chance. But this time I wanted to make a project out of it. So I came up with this headband. 
I've been using the one-handed stranding technique because I'm not good at English style but it would be nice to do two-handed stranding because my pinky is so worn out from switching back and forth between the two colors. 

Lastly, I started out using a simple bobbin of yarn just wrapped around a piece of cardboard with the ends folded up. It works okay, but the yarn unwraps freely. I remembered seeing someone make a butterfly bobbin once so I looked for a tutorial. This one was helpful: http://www.craftleftovers.com/craft/how-to-making-butterfly-bobbins/. So I made my very first bitterly bobbin and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment